When you’re on a weight loss diet, a weekend of socializing and dining can ruin the exertion for a week if you don’t know exactly what’s on your plate. For someone desperately trying to lose weight, it can be a delicate situation where you don’t want to miss the opportunity to socialize and be with family and friends while dining out but not wanting to get off the weight loss cart by abandoning the guard during such indulgences. However, we don’t want you to stop having fun and have a reward after a week of dieting and exercising rigorously. It is easy to overeat and be tempted to eat too much, but not eating mindfully can sabotage an entire week’s progress in weight loss. That is why we have listed 14 brilliant tips that you should follow while eating on a weight loss diet.
14 Brilliant Tips To Follow While Eating On A Weight Loss Diet:
1. Scroll through the online menu: It is a good idea to check the restaurant / hotel menu online to highlight healthy dishes. These days, it is easy to find soft copies of the menu online and make an informed decision about what type of dish is low in calories and what type of food would not throw your weight loss goals in the ditch. Additionally, you can also call the hotel / restaurant and ask about the healthy options available. They are happy to suggest such dishes.
2. Choose high protein and fiber foods: Look for high protein and fiber foods – protein and fiber will keep you full longer, reduce overeating, and increase weight loss.
3. Eat a protein-rich snack before you set off: don’t arrive at the restaurant in a starved mode. In this state, you wouldn’t have the patience to indulge in healthy options. Half an hour before you leave, don’t forget to treat yourself to a protein-rich snack like a handful of nuts, a cup of Greek yogurt, or even a small bowl of oats with a pinch of chia seeds to keep the hunger hormones in check.
4. Practice pre-loading water: Pre-loading water is a healthy and almost effortless way to increase weight loss. With this strategy, experts recommend drinking 500 ml of plain water half an hour before each meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Such an amount of water before meals will stretch your stomach considerably and as a result the hunger hormone “ghrelin” would be released less. This means that with less food and less calorie intake, you would feel full. It’s an effective overeating strategy and can use the same technique when you leave for brunch, lunch, or dinner. Recharge water and reduce the risk of overeating.
5. Always order what you think is right: Do not be influenced by the things that other people in the group have ordered for themselves. Opt for grilled and baked varieties and avoid fried varieties. Choose brown rice or whole grain bread over white bread and white rice.
6. Fill half your plate with vegetables or lean protein in an all-you-can-eat buffet: It’s a good idea to fill half your plate with vegetables and other lean protein in buffers where the options are endless are. Read about 15 sources of lean protein that can help you lose weight.
7. Avoid the bread basket: Avoid nibbling on the bread from the bread basket as this is the easiest way to collect extra calories (most are made from refined flour) and it won’t fill you up either.
8. Start with a Salad: If you’re starting your meal with a plate of salad without the heavy high-calorie dressing, it’s a good idea to feel full with fewer calories.
9. Avoid sugary drinks and colas: Say yes to water and “no” to sugary drinks, fruit juices, and colas while eating out.
10. Avoid Sugar-Free and Fat-Free Meals: It would be a good idea to completely stay away from sugar-free and fat-free dishes unless you are told of all the ingredients that have been added. Fat-free versions are usually high in sugar to make up for the mild taste after removing the fat. Sugar-free versions may also contain artificial sweeteners that can trigger weight gain.
11. Practice Portion Control: Portion control is an essential part of any weight loss program to prevent extra pounds from building up, especially when eating out. Don’t take second servings, don’t eat from a small plate, and if there’s anything left you can ask for a dog pouch to take home with you. Here are some tips for practicing portion control.
12. Avoid seasonings: any extra calories would get onto your plate through sauces, dressings, mayonnaise, butter, and of course, additional sprinkling of salt. Avoid creamy dressings and high-calorie sauces in dishes while eating out.
13. Chew slowly: It’s a safe way to feel full without overeating. Slow chewing is a part of mindful eating as it is recommended that you enjoy every bite and be aware of the quality and quantity of the foods you are consuming. If you eat too fast, your brain won’t get the signal to stop once you’re full. This means that you are often eating more than you actually need. Another interesting fact is that it takes the brain about 20 minutes to register that you have eaten something. If you slow down, you can actually hit the saturation point during the eating process itself and keep yourself from gaining extra pounds. Also, at a restaurant, order textured foods that require a lot of chewing and you may feel full faster.
14. Eat Your Dessert Slowly: Here’s a little trick supermodels often practice when eating desserts. They tend to hold back on sugary treats and usually enjoy every bite they take instead of swallowing spoons. Mostly they are satisfied with the third bite and do not want to eat anymore, push away the dessert plate and not indulge too much with sugary delicacies. Also, look for options like oranges and pomegranates with vanilla honey and desserts made with dark chocolate on the menu.
Even if you go overboard, you can end up calling it a “cheat meal” and be on your way with your next meal without jeopardizing your weight loss efforts.
15 food sources of lean protein that can help you lose weight
10 tips on portion control of food for weight loss
How supermodels stay slim the healthy way
15 strategies to combat overeating