So we learned that Dana Emmer, our Deputy Advocate General (and one of the busiest employees and a mother of two years), had carried out ProLon twice – and had a lot to say. For the uninitiated, the ProLon meal kit is designed to mimic the effects of fasting while providing you with some vital information
Macro and micronutrients. You will receive a package with five boxes,
one for each day that contains all of the food you want
need – vegetable-based soups, almond butter bars, kale crackers,
Olives, herbal teas and food supplements and some days the
beloved Choco Crisp Bar. The program is research based
from Valter Longo, PhD, and the University of Southern
California’s Longevity Institute; Have animal and cell studies
demonstrated that fasting can promote cell regeneration and the
Expression of genes associated with longevity.
L-Nutra (ProLon) The ProLon diet costs $ 249
As documented online and on TV, we are huge fans of ProLon.
There were a couple of arguments about who would try
the latest version of the kit. Dana won. V2 has the same everyday design as the original, just with a different selection of soups, including white beans and spinach, butternut quinoa, and black beans.
Dana told us everything. We have put V2 in the shopping cart. And we’ve compiled their honest and helpful advice below. Your main takeaway? The best thing you can do is not to put your life on hold: “Do the things that make you happy,” she says.
8 ProLon strategies from a three-timer
1. Be honest with yourself about your intentions and wellness priorities. The first time I was keen to give it a try because I felt I needed a reset badly. I wanted to spend a manageable amount of time not eating and drinking like crazy. After the end, I felt really good – I couldn’t believe how good. The second time, I was excited because I knew how I had felt the first time. And I was just so miserable. I missed fresh food and flexibility, and the lack of both had a negative impact on my sanity – it just wasn’t the right time for me. That’s okay! I am human
This time around, I knew that I wanted the break from wine and take-out more than the freedom to eat and drink what I wanted. I longed to reset, as did my husband, who did it with me all three times. (It’s absolutely helpful when we’re on the same page.)
2. When you experience caffeine withdrawal, you don’t have to suffer. According to the ProLon official decree, it is permissible to drink eight ounces of black coffee or sixteen ounces of green, white, or black tea each morning.
3. Work with a little movement when you normally crave it and enjoy it. One of the things that made my third ProLon experience the best ever was that I wasn’t afraid to do light exercise. You need to be gentle with yourself – definitely avoid anything that is high intensity. I’ve completed easier twenty-minute peloton courses than the high-intensity forty-five-minute courses I’m used to. It helped me feel like I was still living my normal life, keeping myself busy and relaxing.
4. Add spice. You can add up to a teaspoon of salt, herbs and spices to the soups every day. Freshly ground black pepper was a game changer for me. Seasoning can make the soups a lot tastier when they’re not your jam.
5. Make low-profile plans if you can. In the past, I’ve avoided social events: I felt that if I couldn’t eat or drink with friends, I wasn’t going to be having fun. Nowadays we mostly plan with friends to take our kids to parks, wear masks and not eat or drink, which reminded me that it is possible and easy and fun to get in touch with people without worrying about food or to worry about alcohol. Maintaining such plans with people you love is another way to focus on things other than your diet. And while it looks like it could drain, there is usually something that will give you energy back.
6. Plan to go to bed early – and pick a show that isn’t food based. With ProLon I always go to bed earlier than usual – it feels pretty natural because you run out of steam sooner. What my husband and I do is we watch Love Island UK (if you know you know) because we are both obsessed with it and in particular that this show doesn’t often show people eating. You never see their meals or what’s on their plates, and you don’t have to sit by a commercial for Dominos Pizza. It’s amazing how suddenly you feel deprived when you see grocery ads or see The Great British Bake-Off, even if you haven’t done it before.
7. It’s okay to call in for a few days while cooking meals for your children. I have a boy who is two years old and a girl who is five years old and making food for them and not wanting to eat or take a bite of their mac ‘n’ cheese is the hardest part of everything . But I figured out what works for us: during the ProLon days, I make them the stuff they like that I have no interest in, like broccoli tots. My strategy for success now at Whole Foods is to supply myself with healthy, kid-friendly dinners that are easy to prepare but appeal to me a little less than the adult-related meals I often cook for all of us, like salmon with rice and vegetables.
What was fun and unexpected is that my two kids got jealous of my soups. But for obvious reasons, I’m not going to feed them ProLon. So this time I made them their own tomato soup for several lunches to eat with me.
8. Pay attention to what you actually want when it’s over. On the sixth day this time, I woke up feeling really good and full of energy. It was the day before Halloween when the diet was over and my husband said, “Let’s take the kids to see how Krispy Kreme donuts are made.” And I went to Krispy Kreme and didn’t even have the slightest wish Eating the fresh donuts off the line, which is rare for me. In the days that followed, it was surprisingly easy to avoid sugar and alcohol. Not because I was exercising any kind of willpower, but because I just wasn’t interested in it.
A few days later I had something to drink, but I didn’t feel like having that much. I just wanted to eat clean. Every time I’ve done ProLon, the lasting benefit hasn’t been so much what happened in those five days. It was more about this reset factor, afterwards mostly wanting to eat clean. And that stays with me for a while.
This article is for informational purposes only, even if and regardless of whether it contains advice from doctors and health professionals. This article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, nor should it be used as a substitute for specific medical advice. The views expressed in this article are the expert’s views and do not necessarily reflect those of goop.