People desperate to lose weight often face a common enemy – carbohydrate cravings! It sometimes becomes impossible to resist cravings for carbohydrates because they trigger the release of “happy chemicals” like serotonin in the brain. When we are stressed or bored, we tend to reach for carbohydrates, which feel better by releasing such hormones. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that carbohydrates tend to put us into an overeating cycle by increasing cravings throughout the day. However, it is not a wise idea to completely exclude this staple group of foods from the diet. Instead, a better option to lose weight and get healthy would be by being low in carbohydrates and eating the right kind of carbohydrates (also called complex carbohydrates). In fact, without complex carbohydrates and healthy fats, the body would get its fuel from breaking down protein and muscle mass. This is why it is important to eat the right kind of carbohydrates and cut out all simple and refined carbohydrates. In general, a large population of people who are having difficulty losing weight eat very large servings of refined carbohydrates. In order to lose extra weight, it is important to reduce the percentage of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates should ideally only make up 15% of each main meal, while 50% vegetables, 25% protein and 10 to 15% fat source should make up the rest. As we mentioned earlier, fighting carbohydrate cravings is not an easy task. However, this post is going to teach you how to break carbohydrate cravings once and for all.
The link between carbohydrate cravings and weight gain:
Consumption of refined carbohydrates leads to the release of feel-good hormones like serotonin, dopamine, and other chemicals in the brain. The relaxing effects of such chemicals make us look for foods that can trigger their release. Boredom, stress, and other factors can make carbohydrate cravings worse, and it can become a habit that can be extremely difficult to get rid of. Refined carbohydrates, processed foods, and junk foods are directly related to weight gain and the risk of developing metabolic syndrome, which includes heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even stroke. When we eat refined carbohydrates, blood sugar rises sharply and insulin levels rise, which forces the glucose molecules into the cells. And of all body cells, fat or fat cells have a large storage capacity to store the extra calories. When all the extra calories are stored in fat cells, liver, muscles, etc., the body will signal a lack of fuel to the brain and you would feel hungry at that point. When the brain detects low calories in the body, it leads to hunger and cravings, and you are in the vicious circle of constant calorie intake. Carbohydrates seem to be an ideal choice for a quick recharge of energy. Constantly filling up on calories can lead to overeating and, of course, weight gain.
How to break carbohydrate cravings once and for all:
1. Switch to a healthy weight loss diet instead of a crash diet: To lose weight, do not resort to food deprivation diets like crash diets, as hunger and extreme calorie restriction can intensify cravings and later lead to overeating. Lose weight by eating a healthy and proper diet, you will find such diets in the Rati Beauty app and you will lose tons of weight.
2. Cut down on highly processed foods, which generally contain refined carbohydrates that are digested quickly, increase insulin levels, and then make you hungry again in no time. Switch to complex carbohydrates like whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, and vegetables.
3. Say yes to healthy fats: Do not avoid healthy fats when dieting because you are eating healthy fats. You actually stop craving for carbohydrates. Here is a list of Healthy Fats to Include in Your Diet (How Eating Fats Can Make You Thin).
4. Eating protein-rich foods: We crave refined carbohydrates and sugary products when the body is low on protein. In fact, an adequate protein would suppress the activity of the hunger hormone “ghrelin”.
5. Stick to the meal and snack times: If you eat the food on time and at set times, you will avoid frequent hunger pangs and unnecessary snacking. In the Rati Beauty App you will find the right times for meals and snacks for weight loss.
6. Find Healthy Bad Carbohydrate Substitutes: Here is a list of 8 low-carb food alternatives to high-carbohydrate foods.
7. Saying no to added sugar: Added sugar is probably the biggest hurdle on the road to weight loss. This is because it facilitates weight gain in several ways. It sharpens the hormone insulin, which not only regulates blood sugar, but also triggers fat storage and a strong craving for sugar and carbohydrates. If you think about it enough, giving up sugar can be the easiest way to curb cravings. Extra sugar is found in cupcakes, candy, chocolates, etc.
8. Once a week cheat meal: Turn your cheat meal into a treat once a week. Dieting doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite food forever. You can occupy yourself with it once or twice a week not only to satisfy your cravings, but also to help kick-start a sluggish metabolism and get the body to believe that it is okay to burn calories because of food is abundant and to bring the metabolism back to a high level.
9. Drink lots of water: The hypothalamus area in our brain tends to confuse thirst and hunger signals. This is why it is important to drink enough water to curb all types of food cravings and false hunger signals.
10. Stay away from these carbohydrates: soda, candy, bagels, french fries, chocolates, white bread etc, stay away from all these refined carbohydrates.
11. Take a 10-Minute Walk: There are two main benefits of a 10-minute walk when cravings arise – you can burn some calories and even at the end of this walk the cravings will go away.
12. Chewing on sugar-free gum: Studies have shown that chewing on sugar-free gum can significantly reduce carbohydrate cravings and also decrease the frequency of snacks. Make sure, however, that the chewing gum does not contain any artificial sweeteners.
Hope this article would help you fight all food cravings especially food cravings.
How To Reduce Added Sugar To Lose Weight
12 Amazing Tips to Follow Your Weight Loss Diet