Salmon and coconut curry with spinach and chickpeas is a simple one Stew that cooks in less than 30 minutes!
Salmon and coconut curry with chickpeas
Roasted salmon skin adds an extra dimension to this pan dinner: rich flavor and crispy texture. The salmon is then braised in a velvety coconut curry sauce that goes perfectly with fish, spinach and chickpeas. For more seafood curry recipes, try my Thai Green Curry Coconut Shrimp with Basil and Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce.
Salmon is my favorite fish! I have tons of other wonderful salmon recipes in the archives. This salmon and coconut curry recipe is very nutritious and so delicious! Light coconut milk is used, which instantly reduces calories. Salmon is also full of protein and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Chickpeas are a good source of fiber, and spinach is full of vitamins and minerals.
How do you make coconut curry from scratch?
This curry is Indian inspired and made from Madras curry powder. It cooks quickly and all in one pan, making it an excellent choice for a simple dinner on a busy evening.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper and place skin down in the pan. Cook for five minutes, until the skin is crispy, then remove from the pan.
- Fry the onions, garlic, chilli and ginger for two minutes. Add the chickpeas and curry and cook for two minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, spinach and salt. Cover the pan and cook for another two minutes.
- Place the salmon skin up in the pan and cook for about five minutes until the fish is done.
Variations and tips for the salmon coconut curry:
- Swap spinach for kale, Swiss chard, or mustard.
- Make it Whole30 by swapping chickpeas for potatoes.
- Let the skin caramelize completely before attempting to stir the fillet so the salmon can easily peel off the pan.
- Cook under shrimp for salmon and less time
- Use a white fish like cod if you’re not a salmon fanatic.
- If you don’t like spicy foods, skip the Fresno chilli.
More Curry Recipes You’ll Love:
Salmon and coconut curry with spinach and chickpeas
Preparation time: 5 min
Cooking time: 20th min
Total time: 25th min
Fried salmon with spinach and chickpeas in a creamy coconut curry sauce is very easy Stew that cooks in less than 20 minutes!
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4th 6 ounces Salmon fillets on the skin
- 2 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced (approx. 1 small)
- 3 peeled garlic cloves, rubbed
- 1 2 inches Piece of peeled ginger, rubbed
- 1 large Fresno chilli, finely diced
- 1 15 ounces can chickpeas, flushed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1 14 ounces can light coconut milk
- 5 Ounces Baby spinach
Season both sides of the salmon with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. To put on a plate.
Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Spray on oil to completely cover the bottom of the pan.
Put salmon skin down in the pan and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until the skin is crispy.
Return to the plate (skin up) and set aside.
Add the remaining teaspoon of oil, then add onion, garlic, ginger, and Fresno chilli. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
Add the chickpeas and curry and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, adding coconut milk while stirring to expose any browned bits stuck to the pan.
Stir in the spinach and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes until the spinach wilts.
Add the salmon skin up and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes until the fish is done.
Portion: 1Fillet, 1/2 cup vegetables, Calories: 453kcal, Carbohydrates: 23.5G, Protein: 41G, Fat: 20thG, Saturated fatty acids: 7.5G, Cholesterol: 94mg, Sodium: 275mg, Fiber: 5G, Sugar: 1.5G
Blue Smart Points: 4th
Green Smart Points: 12th
Purple Smart Points: 4th
Keywords: Salmon stew recipe, salmon coconut curry, salmon coconut milk curry
Posted January 6, 2021 by Gina
Don’t miss a recipe!
Receive new free recipes and exclusive content straight to your inbox: