If you feel that your body is refusing to lose extra weight despite sticking to a strict diet program and an intense exercise routine, it is very likely that the “set point theory” has taken effect and your body is struggling to Maintaining a Specific Weight Defuse your weight loss efforts to get a lighter version of yourself. If you think about that, the human body goes through several complicated metabolic and chemical processes to keep you alive, keep your heart beating, and maintain core temperature. An optimal amount of calories is required for all of these processes. It is believed that, as with various body functions, weight is also regulated physiologically. Studies say that every person has a target weight, and the body adjusts to a certain weight and defies any effort to change that number. This target weight is given by genetics, but can be influenced by environmental factors, eating habits and lifestyle. Your body would also try to push you back to your previous weight by making hormonal changes that increase your appetite and lower your metabolism. In fact, unhealthy eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle can push your reset point to a higher number. For example, if your predetermined target weight is 58 kg, wrong eating habits and unhealthy lifestyle habits can rise to 75 and above! Simplifying this concept: if your set point is 75 kg but you lose a lot of weight from a crash diet and have reached 58 kg, the body is making changes in the body to bring it back to 75 kg. How ridiculous isn’t it ?! Then what is the whole point of the weight loss battle? While losing weight is considered difficult, not regaining all of the weight you lost can be a difficult task when you have a higher set point. Certain studies have shown that only 10% of dieters manage to maintain their lost weight, while 90% of people tend to regain all of that and more, and we can now attribute it to target weight. Okay, now that we are clear about the setpoint weight, let’s figure out how to change the setpoint to achieve greater weight loss.
What is setpoint theory?
Setpoint theory is the way the body floats around a certain weight and struggles and defends to maintain that certain weight. Setpoint theory indicates that your weight can temporarily increase or decrease but eventually return to its normal setpoint range. When there is a severe calorie deficiency (by following crash diets) the body becomes fuel efficient and adapts to work with fewer calories. It does this by slowing down the metabolism, increasing appetite, increasing the level of the hunger hormone “ghrelin” and causing changes in fat-burning hormones (15 ways to turn on fat-burning hormones). As a result, you tend to burn fewer calories and eventually, if you get off the diet, your metabolism would remain sluggish and weight gain would be rapid.
1. Follow the Right Type of Diet to Lose Weight: The best thing about weight loss programs on the Rati Beauty Diet is that they help you lose extra pounds by encouraging you to eat the right kind of food to take and not deprive you of extreme food. It is important not to reduce your calorie intake extremely, otherwise your body will quickly switch to a fat-saving mode. However, if you reduce the calories to optimal levels, it will continue to burn fat in the calorie deficit and with exercise. It is therefore important not to deprive the body of the nutrients it needs to function. Check the diets on the Rati Beauty app for more information on how to lose weight successfully.
2. The 10% principle: The key to resetting the target weight is to decrease gradually, only 10% at a time. When such small amounts are lost, the body doesn’t fight back violently and let you hold that particular weight. If you continue to lose a small percentage of the weight, the set point will continue to slide to a lower value and the body will not fight back with force to bring it back to the previous higher weight. As mentioned earlier, don’t rely on diets that promise to melt away fat in a matter of days. Instead, check out the diet programs in the Rati Beauty app to successfully lose weight and keep it off forever.
3. Eat fermented and probiotics: The secret to successful weight loss may lie in your gut. The gut is considered to be the body’s “second brain” as there are 100 million neurons in our gut and they are directly connected to the brain. A healthy gut is important as an unhealthy gut can lower immunity, increase weight, cause hormonal imbalances, affect mental health, cause endocrine and metabolic disorders. Probiotics support the friendly bacteria found in the small and large intestines of the human body. These colonies of friendly bacteria extract nutrients from digested food and release them into the blood when they reach the intestines. When the good bacterial flora is disturbed by the invasion of bad bacteria, an imbalance arises and nutrients and vitamins are not extracted efficiently from food. This digestive disorder is known as “dysbiosis,” which is an imbalanced microbial ecosystem in the gut. This dysbiosis is linked to weight gain and obesity. Taking prebiotics and probiotics will help maintain the healthy bacteria in your gut. Yogurt, cottage cheese, and fermented foods contain probiotics that help maintain the perfect balance of the intestines, help you lose weight successfully, and prevent the weight from building up.
4. Get a good night’s sleep: Sleep deprivation is directly linked to weight gain and obesity. You can get around vigorously and literally have nothing to eat during the day, but don’t expect weight loss if you don’t sleep at least 7 hours at night. Poor quality sleep is one of the main reasons behind weight gain and obesity. In fact, if you are desperate to get rid of belly fat, just get a good night’s sleep. When you are not getting a sound sleep, it has spiraling effects on weight and health – it lowers leptin (satiety hormone) levels, increases cortisol production, makes metabolism sluggish, lowers fat burning enzymes and increases levels of the hunger hormone “ghrelin”. In addition, poor sleep can hinder the intestinal flora by interfering with the physiological stress response, and an unbalanced bowel can bring the entire weight loss process to a complete standstill. In fact, seriously, all you are doing is sleeping like a baby all night to lose extra fat and reset your target weight.
5. Make Lifestyle Changes: In order to lose weight successfully and maintain this weight loss, one must make healthy lifestyle changes. Exercise and a healthy diet should be part of your lifestyle and not mean reaching a certain size, shape or figure on the scales. Avoid unhealthy foods, abandon the sedentary lifestyle, and practice these NEAT activities to train the body to a healthy weight.
I hope these tips will help you lose extra weight and get a healthier, lighter version of yourself.
10 surprising ways to lose weight while you sleep
Lose as much weight as you can by following these rules