Not all white foods are processed, but most processed foods are white! Much of the processed white foods are believed to be unhealthy and should be eliminated from the diet in order to lose weight and become healthier as well. We’re certainly not talking about healthy white foods like milk, paneer, tofu, poultry, cheese, white beans, mushrooms, garlic, cauliflower, yogurt, or nuts. We point our fingers at polished white rice, white flour, cereals, white sugar, etc. Refined carbohydrates that are devoid of nutrients and quickly cause blood sugar spikes make these white foods a bad guy. By eliminating white foods from your diet, you are sure to make room for healthy, nutritious foods. Most processed, refined white foods are the leading cause of obesity worldwide. If you are serious about weight loss then figuring out which white foods to avoid for weight loss and what to eat instead is important! Replacing these foods will help get your weight loss off the ground with full enthusiasm and also serve as a small stepping stone to great success. Also, find out how to lose weight by eating the right kind of food by checking out the diet programs on the Rati Beauty app.
So what’s the problem with processed white foods?
Most of them have low nutritional empty calories and simple sugars that quickly increase insulin and blood sugar levels. This sharp spike in insulin would be followed by a steep crash, and within a short period of time hunger would return and the craving for more unhealthy foods would increase. Frequent snacking and eating such high-calorie foods would lead to excess calories and eventually weight gain. It is also alarming how whole grains and healthy foods are being replaced with processed white foods in daily diets. Needless to say, such a diet carries the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and, of course, obesity. If you want to narrow your waistline and lose extra weight, replace those high blood sugar foods with low blood sugar, high nutrient density foods that nourish the mind and body.
9 White Foods To Avoid Weight Loss And What To Eat Instead:
1. White rice: switch to brown rice instead. White rice or brown rice doesn’t matter when consumed in moderation, but polished white rice usually contains simple, low-fiber carbohydrates. Brown rice contains fiber, complex carbohydrates, calcium, iron, and even antioxidants, so it’s a good choice over white rice.
2. Refined sugar: switch to jaggery or stevia leaves instead. Eliminating white sugar is the easiest way to lose extra pounds without actually breaking a sweat. As we all know, refined sugar is extremely addicting, as the brain signals the release of dopamine (a “feel good hormone”) with every consumption, with effects similar to addictive substances. To get out of this rut, choose better alternatives like jaggery because it flushes toxins from the body, cleanses the airways, and because it’s high in potassium, iron, and other minerals, it’s much better than refined sugar. When you are low on energy and are running out of sugar, try jaggery (Indian gud) or organic honey in your tea, coffee, juice, etc. to increase your energy levels. Stevia leaves are also the safest form to use in place of artificial sweeteners or white sugar.
3. White bread: Switch to black bread or multigrain bread. We would also like to add that not all black breads are brown enough. White carbohydrates are bad, as are white bread. Does that mean you should skip white bread entirely? Well, white bread is not good for weight loss, so you should look for breads that contain whole wheat or whole grains. You should have 100% whole grain bread, or 100% whole grain bread and each slice should contain at least 3 grams of fiber and less than 3 grams of sugar. Read in this post “What is the best bread for weight loss?”.
4. White pasta: Switch to whole wheat pasta instead. Whole wheat pasta has a comparatively higher fiber content and is also low in calories.
5. White salt: switch to rock salt instead. You should never remove salt from your daily life as it is needed to maintain electrolyte levels and other body functions. However, there are better options with a better nutrient profile. For example, rock salt or Sendha Namak contains around 84 trace elements that are essential for the body. On the other hand, anti-caking and bleaching agents are added to some white salt packets.
6. White Flour / Maida: Switch to whole wheat flour or oatmeal powder instead. Yes, Maida is extremely unhealthy for your gut, for your general health, and would put you back on your weight loss goals. For anyone trying to lose weight, we’ve explored some healthy flour options that you can use to replace all-purpose flour or maida in your baking.
7. Mayonnaise: Use avocado, Greek yogurt, or hummus instead. Mayonnaise is high in calories and mostly made up of oils, which leads to weight gain quickly.
8. White Whipped Cream: Switch to a combination of softened butter and milk and mix to the consistency of whipped cream. Packaged whipped cream is high in calories and can drive you into calorie surplus.
9. Evaporated milk: switch to coconut milk, oat milk, and almond milk instead. It’s no secret that condensed milk is all about sugar and lots of calories. On the contrary, coconut milk, oat milk, and almond milk have healthy fats and amazing fat-burning properties.
50 healthy food swaps that everyone should definitely try
15 Ways To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth Without Refined Sugar
What is the best bread for weight loss
Which salt is good for diet and weight loss