Regular exercise offers several benefits – from burning calories, to mental and physical fitness, to promoting blood circulation and improving skin texture – the list of gains associated with any form of physical activity is endless! Exercise is known to help acne by regulating the body’s balance with hormones such as testosterone that cause excess sebum production. Also, cortisol, the stress hormone, is causing havoc on the skin, and there is a strong link between high cortisol levels and acne breakouts. For this reason, even moderate physical activity can improve blood circulation, bring oxygenated blood to the skin, keep it healthy and free from breakouts. However, some women complain of frequent breakouts with exercise and after burning calories after an intense exercise session. In this post, we decided to find out several reasons that trigger acne after exercise and how to prevent them.
1. Avoid wearing makeup: We all agree that you want to look your best while you exercise too. However, if you should avoid wearing makeup, go to the gym and during home exercise. Excessive sweat production during exercise can trap bacteria and prevent the skin from breathing, leading to clogged pores and acne breakouts. Wipe off any makeup or at least switch to non-comedogenic makeup products during the training session to keep pimples at bay.
2. Take a shower after exercise: As mentioned above, excessive sweat and sebum production can clog pores and trigger bacterial growth. After an intense workout, remember to shower and put on fresh clothes.
3. Use antibacterial wipes to disinfect headphones and phones: Sweat and moisture can easily transfer to headphones and phones, where they become a breeding ground for germs and acne-producing bacteria. Remember to clean your headphones and phones regularly to avoid breakouts.
4. Do not touch your face often during exercise: Make sure not to touch your face too often. Germs and bacteria can get into your face from other surfaces through your hands. So if you have acne prone skin, pull your hands back.
5. Wipe down shared exercise equipment: The leg curl is a fitness machine that allows your face to come into contact with a surface. If it hasn’t been disinfected, blame it for your outbreaks. Aside from the hamstring machine, you should disinfect any shared exercise equipment to prevent breakouts.
Other than these points, while exercising, pull your hair away from your face in a ponytail or bun to prevent buildup and oil from getting on your face as hair products and hair oils can irritate the skin and cause breakouts.
Does Exercise Help With Acne?
10 Top Non-Comedogenic Basics for Acne Prone Skin
20 ways to remove acne scars and pimple marks