1. Mix together 4 cups of marinara sauce and 1 teaspoon. Harissa paste in a 6 liter slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine 1 pound of ground lamb, 1 pound of lean ground beef, 1 egg, 1 1/2 tsp. each ground garlic, cumin, black pepper, coriander and paprika and 1/4 tsp. kosher salt. Form meatballs 2 inches in diameter (about 20 meatballs) and nestle in the sauce (be careful not to crush them). Cook until the meatballs are no longer pink in the middle and, when tested with an instant thermometer, reach 165 degrees: 2 1/2 hours on high, 5 hours on deep.
2. Place half of the meatballs and sauce in bowls and garnish with chopped fresh mint and plain Greek yogurt (optional).
Eat it again!
3. Put the remaining meatballs and sauce in a storage container. Cool down, then refrigerate for up to three days or freeze for up to three months. Heat on the stove or in the microwave from the refrigerator. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then heat on the stove or in the microwave.
Make it a meal
4. Serve these delicious Moroccan meatballs on flatbread or on top of couscous or even gnocchi.
- Turn these into Italian meatballs by skipping the harissa noodles, swapping beef for lamb, and using dried oregano, basil, and parsley instead of cumin, coriander, and peppers.
Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount per serving: cal. (Kcal): 330, fat, total (g): 21, chol. (mg): 102, sat. Fat (g): 8, carbohydrates. (g): 11, monounsaturated fat (g): 8, polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, trans fatty acid (g):, fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 6, per. (g): 23, vit. A (RE): 113, vit. C (mg): 4, thiamine (mg): riboflavin (mg): niacin (mg): 10, pyridoxine (vit. B6) (mg): folate (µg): 32, cobalamin (vit. B12) (ug) : 2, Sodium (mg): 674, Potassium (mg): 715, Calcium (mg): 66, Iron (mg): 4, Daily percentages are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.