That bag of yummy potato chips that you grab when watching your favorite web series or a slice of pizza you absolutely can’t resist at the party would flood your body with hundreds of empty calories, most likely stored as fat instead of being used because they lack any nutritional value. Empty calories have no nutritional benefit, nor will they fill you up. Needless to say, eliminating foods with empty calories will make your weight loss easier and you can reach your goal weight relatively faster. In fact, cutting out empty calories can speed up your journey to goal weight. Instead, we should try to replace empty calories with nutrient-dense foods that provide the body with vitamins, proteins, fiber, antioxidants, and other essential minerals that the body needs to function properly. Quality is just as important as quantity when it comes to calories, as not all calories are created equal. Keep in mind that 500 calorie pizza is not the same as 500 calories of brown rice and vegetables when you’re getting tons of healthy carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, and minerals that aid the fat burning process, while 500 calorie pizza is full of empty calories with no vitamins, protein – or fiber content and would only add to the pounds you have. When you get to the calorie deficit formula to lose a pound a week (roughly half a kg), you need to cut 3500 calories, but weight loss doesn’t occur when you consume hundreds of empty calories from various food sources. If you’re struggling to differentiate between real and empty calories, we list 10 ways to cut hundreds of empty calories and lose weight throughout the day.
What are empty calories?
Empty calories can get in the way of a fitter because they come from foods that provide the body with quick bursts of energy but do not contain food. They don’t leave you feeling full or full. These foods can cause large spikes in insulin and blood sugar. After the subsequent crash, you crave more food and more energy in the form of calories. Chocolates, french fries, baked goods, energy drinks, soft drinks, etc. are some examples of foods loaded with such calories. A low-calorie weight loss diet should look at the source of its calories and make sure it also contains vitamins, minerals, fiber and other nutrients and is free of sugar, unhealthy fats and not to mention transfat.
10 Ways To Cut Hundreds Of Empty Calories Throughout The Day:
1.Practice mindful eating: Mindful eating is one of the most important techniques to eat healthily and lose extra pounds because you can know why you are eating the food (real hunger versus false hunger), the type of food, who you are eating (healthy versus unhealthy) and how much you eat. It would also make you enjoy every bite, stopping when full, and preventing overeating. This method allows you to cut down a whole lot of calories in a day.
2. Don’t Juice Your Fruits: Packaged fruit juices are not the same as fresh fruit juices as they are packaged with artificial taste, color, preservatives, and lots of sugar. These would make up empty calories. We even recommend that you stop juicing fresh fruit to preserve the goodness of the fiber and minerals that are lost during juicing.
3. Have a handful of healthy nuts: There are several different types of nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, peanuts, cashews) and all of them are diet powerhouses with lots of vitamins, minerals, proteins, and even healthy fats (these are the ones) the fats that your body needs for normal function). They protect our heart and keep the good cholesterol level optimal. Never neglect nuts, just control the amount you eat and stop at just a handful or less. Several studies have shown that including nuts in your daily diet accelerates weight loss. Most nuts like walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and cashews contain a good amount of protein, vitamins, and saturated fats that will keep your weight in check. They also boost your metabolism and help the body burn calories more effectively. They make you feel full longer and control hunger pangs. It is better to opt for these nuts than ingesting chips or other unhealthy foods when you feel like snacking to avoid empty calories. That is why in this post we are listing 8 weight loss nuts that you can include in your diet.
4. Say No to Soft Drinks and Carbonated Drinks: Soft drinks, flavored sodas, and energy drinks add a tremendous amount of calories to your daily diet, devoid of any nutritional content. The diet version of soft drinks is also out of order, avoid them entirely.
5. Begin the Rati Beauty Weight Loss Diet: Cooking your own meals is an important part of losing weight where you are in control of calories and nutrients. However, if you are clueless, the weight loss diet at Rati Beauty will help you plan any meal that would result in a fitter and healthier person.
6. Avoid Added Sugar In Products: From health drinks to grains to protein bars, added sugar is everywhere! Excess sugar triggers many undesirable effects, such as hormonal changes, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, and obesity. When there is too much sugar in your blood, your body converts excess sugar into glycogen, or fat. Refined sugar is insanely high in calories and has no nutritional value for the body. These calories are known as “empty calories” because they hardly supply the cells with vitamins or minerals. Refined sugar is added with various names such as sucrose, disaccharide, glucose, and fructose in jams, coals, carbonated beverages, muffins, cookies, biscuits, breads, cakes, etc., to name a few in processed foods. The biggest problem is when the body converts the excess sugar into fat and stores it around the abdomen, under the skin, and around the organs. This is exactly what leads to weight gain, and this is where the importance of reducing sugar comes in if you are serious about losing weight. Here’s an in-depth post on cutting back on added sugars to lose weight.
7. Read food labels: We consumers need to be wise and careful before buying a product in store, as certain products are labeled with misleading labels such as “healthy”, “100% genuine”. However, knowing how to read your labels can help prevent unhealthy calories from reaching your plate. Avoid products that contain refined flour, which is commonly known as maida, hydrogenated oil, and palm oil. If the list of ingredients is longer than 2-3 lines, it indicates that it is heavily processed and your body definitely does not need such products.
8. Avoid Refined Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates have a bad rap in weight loss circles because of the common belief that they are naturally fattening and lead to an increase in fat and weight in the body. However, not all carbohydrates are bad. Foods like sugar, candy, white bread, pizza, donuts, cookies, burgers, chocolates, etc. have refined carbohydrates that increase insulin levels and are high in calories that add up quickly and are stored as fat in cells. Check out these 12 high carbohydrate foods to include in your diet.
9. Precharge water: We tend to confuse thirst for hunger as both signals are the same. Instead of having a glass of water, we pick a bag of chips and add empty calories as we go. On the other hand, a glass of water has no calories and will fill you up, which curbs your appetite. Pre-loading water is a technique that can help you reduce calories. Read all about it here.
10. Reduce Alcohol: One of the most effective ways to reduce empty calories is to limit your alcohol consumption as alcohol has no other nutritional value.
Can You Use More Ways To Cut Empty Calories From Diet? If so, please mention this in the comments below.
How Eating Nuts Can Help You Lose Weight
How To Reduce Added Sugar To Lose Weight