A bowl of salad seems to be absolutely mandatory in any weight loss diet and makes perfect sense too, as salads usually mean you are getting your recommended daily servings of vegetables. Salads are also considered a foolproof way to consume a lot of food without causing excess calories, as a plate or bowl of lettuce would help cut calories, boost your metabolism, provide plenty of nourishment, and keep you feeling full for a long time to keep increasing weight loss – provided it’s done right. Salads are often referred to as a healthy option, but certain mistakes can make them unhealthy. If you’re someone particularly trying to lose weight, make sure your salad is completely healthy and clean with these 17 best salad ingredients for weight loss. Additionally, here are some salad mistakes that you should avoid in order to lose weight.
1. Don’t Get Your Salad Plates Off Fast Food Joints: The salad plates of most fast food places that have burgers and fries on their menu may not be as healthy as you think. The biggest problem with these salads is that they are topped with high-calorie dressings, sauces with artificial colors and flavors, and the addition of processed meat. This makes it a wrong choice to order from the menu.
2. Adding Unhealthy Sauces: Okay, the thought of having a bland bowl of salad day after day to lose weight seems like a chore, and then you might think of adding flavor by adding unhealthy sauces to the vegetables soak that you bought at the store. This can prove counterproductive when trying to lose weight as these bandages pump in a ton of calories and push you out of the calorie deficit. So, pitch your own bandages and avoid store-bought ones.
3. Not enough vegetables: So there are only lettuce and cucumber to represent vegetables in your salad bowl. The whole concept of salads is to get nutrients, antioxidants, etc. from vegetables. So don’t compromise. Try using cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, peppers, and beetroot in various combinations for a good serving of these nutritional powerhouses.
4. Do not wash leafy vegetables properly: Leafy vegetables should be washed properly and dried sufficiently to remove pesticides and other herbicides. Contaminated leafy vegetables have been found to cause food poisoning. So better be on the safe side than on the safe side.
5. Adding Croutons to Add Texture to Salads: Croutons can add empty calories to your otherwise healthy salad plate. They’re mostly made up of refined carbohydrates – one of the most important things to avoid when trying to lose weight.
6. No Protein Factor: This macronutrient helps the body burn more calories, keeps you full longer, and boosts your metabolism. The addition of protein gives salads an extra dose of nutritional value. Vegetarians can add hummus, boiled beans, quinoa, cottage cheese to get protein, and non-vegetarians can always add eggs, chicken, tuna, etc. Check out this list of “15 Sources of Lean Protein That Can Help You Lose Weight.”
7. Too Much Protein: We have thought eloquently about the importance of protein while trying to lose weight, but please don’t overdo protein as excess and extra protein is converted into fat and that’s not what we do want!
8. Do not soak your vegetables with dressings, creamy sauces and vinaigrettes: These dressings and sauces are rich in sugar, salt and artificial flavors and can take away the “healthy” factor from your salads. In addition, most creamy sauces are high in saturated fat and can lead to weight gain. Avoid these supplements or use them in moderation.
9. Don’t add healthy fats: Healthy fats help burn fat, reduce inflammation, keep you full longer, longer, and are essential for the absorption of vitamins and fat-soluble antioxidants. Without healthy fats, antioxidants from vegetables are not absorbed as efficiently by the body. Healthy fats from olive oil, nuts, etc. will make your salad tastier, healthier and more palatable.
10. Adding Store-Purchased Mayonnaise: Many calories can enter your body when you add spoons of mayonnaise (made primarily from vegetable oils).
11. Avoid processed meat: These are made with added preservatives, lots of sugar, and even trans fat. So it is better to skip them in salads.
12. Skipping Natural Herbs: Adding natural herbs will help increase your antioxidant absorption and boost your metabolism. Herbs like oregano, parsley, mint, ginger can add a lot of flavor and burn extra calories.
In conclusion, while salads speed up the whole process of weight loss, in order to lose weight successfully, it is imperative that you follow an effective weight loss diet as shown in the Rati Beauty app. Download the Rati Beauty App for more details.
17 Best Salad Ingredients For Weight Loss
15 Lean Protein Food Sources That Can Help You Lose Weight